References . HYDROPOWER Technology
Own development and commitment. Micro-Hydro - Own testing plant for pumps as turbines:
1. Pump turbine testing for pressure system, up to 150 l/s:
- Direct drive for waterpower conversion in heat pump – since 1983.
- Electricity generation for isolated supplies with load controller – since 1984.
- In developing countries, mainly Tanzania, for mill drive, pumping water and electricity generation.
- Modification in pump turbines for improvements and flow adaptation.
- Development of penstock- and piping systems for appropriate technology and local manufacturing.
2. Natural head 2,5 m:
- Initiatives to insert turbines in weir gates and flow passages.
- Demonstration and field testing plant with KSB AG, Frankental, still in operation.
3. Flow energy with velocity control up to 5 m³/s
Floating water wheel with integrated rotary pump, in conventional manufacturing and recycling of drums (applied in plants in Tanzania, Pangani River)
- Pontoon mounted water wheels for pumps and generators.
- Pump propellers in reverse operation
4. Water wheels
- Testing of horizontal water wheels, Nepali Ghatta model for GTZ and improvements, tested and demonstrated in the pump testing plant.
- Vertical water wheels analysis of old techniques and modernisation. (Application in various rehabilitations and new constructions)
5. Pumping with renewable energy.
- Co-operation with Hydrasol systems for deep-well-pumps and floating pumps, exclusively on DC-systems – since 1980.
- Transfer of technology to India where the floating pumps are now manufactured.
- In co-operation with University of Hohenheim:
Testing of propeller pumps
- Own development of a submersible motor-propeller pump for low lift irrigation.
6. Wind pumping
- Design, construction and operation of two wind pumps in Afghanistan, 1973 – 1975
Applications and testing for pumping. (One western mill type, one Sarvonius type)
- 1985 concept for wind pumping systems for MBB.
- Planning, installation and operation of own co-generating plant driven with rape-oil (40 kW el., 60 kW heat)
(The plant was used as hydro-hybrid-plant adding two water power plants, 100 kW and 80 kW for peak power demand from 1994 – 2001, now stand by.)
- Evaluating Indian manufactured oil press and oil engine for applications in projects.
Most projects are documented in reports; for applications several manuals were developed.
Some new techniques and products lead to patents or registered articles.